I’m an indie author too. I know how hard it is to get a book review published on the key sites like Amazon and Goodreads.
When seeking an elusive book review, there’s only so many times you can beg and harass, your friends and relatives, all of your writing pals, and every online group you’ve ever belonged to in your life!
It’s frustrating trying to get promised reviews actually written. Frustrating enough to turn even the most mild mannered writer into a psycho – in their nightmares at least!
Getting discovered as a new author is hard.
I enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing. I don’t have a huge capacity to write reviews, and I don’t want to turn my blog into a book review repository, so I’m not promising to post a new author/book more than once a month. But one of the things I want to do in 2017, is recommend new writers to my email list and social network.
To do this I need to find them. It occurred to me that I have an opportunity to help new indie writers. Especially spec fiction writers who are ticking all of the boxes that help give indie authors a good reputation. By that I mean authors who have:
- professional looking cover and design
- good writing
- fabulous characters acting their scenes in cleverly crafted worlds
- emotion that we as readers can relate to
And behind-the-scenes, indie authors who have a well thought out marketing plan and a professional approach to building visibility and laying the groundwork for a solid writing career.
I’m inviting any indie author who writes speculative fiction, ticks the boxes, and who is looking for a review, to submit a request. Let’s see if we can organise a time in 2017 🙂
Here is a summary of my book review request guidelines.
I’m looking for new, talented, indie authors to feature on my blog in an occasional book review category. I want to recommend new and upcoming authors to my mailing list and to my social networks. Because it will be a personal recommendation from me, I will only accept books that meet most, preferably all my review guidelines:
- Must be one of the speculative genres – I prefer speculative sub-genre’s such as urban fantasy, mystery’s around ghosts, dystopian, steam punk, non-technical sci-fi. I prefer books with a romantic element or subplot, but I will look at anything in the broad speculative genre that meets the remaining requirements listed below. I don’t read erotica of any kind.
- Professional cover, editing and formatting – This is essential. I only want to recommend high quality books that I’ve enjoyed.
- Published in the last 24 months – I’m prepared to permit some fluidity here if the rest of the requirements are met.
- Currently available on Amazon.com and NOT free – I know this sounds a bit snobby … but hey it’s my blog! There are just too many free books out there. I don’t want to be inundated with requests, or join the plethora of book bloggers who already tout free, free, free.
- At least 5 reviews with a rating of at least 3.5
- A quality author platform with active social media networks – I’d like to see a professional looking website with some recent activity (blogging not essential); and some evidence that you communicate with readers via twitter, FB, Instagram or whatever your favourites are.
Here’s a form for you to submit your request 🙂
If we agree your book meets these requirements, I will purchase a copy and add it to my must read pile! I’m looking forward to hearing from you 🙂